Friday, March 02, 2007

i kept my shadow waiting down the road for me awhile

I did make dinner last night. Nothing special, just spaghetti sauce, one of the few things I can throw together fairly easily and do a decent (though not outstanding) job of.

As things simmered I spent time with the dogs.

At one point I went downstairs to check on dinner and to stir... and returned to find that Little Puppy's bottle of eye drops was being devoured with unparallelled canine enthusiasm and joy. Ugh! I called the vet who assured me that there wasn't enough there to poison anyone and sent out a new prescription to the pharmacy. Frightening. I was relieved nothing serious came of it. I was literally shaking while on the phone with the veterinary technician.

*

Yesterday afternoon I went outside to try and shovel the sidewalk, a job that has been sadly neglected during my pneumonia and Shawn's stint as a nurse. I had been thinking to myself that after shoveling, I might try to work out since I haven't done that in awhile for the same reasons. It turns out I'm not as over the pneumonia as I thought I was. Although I am now able to remain upright for an entire day and maintain a normal body temperature, my lungs are still weak. I was coughing and out of breath within a few minutes of picking up the shovel. I did finish the sidewalk (at a very slow pace) but decided to skip the afternoon workout after all.

I comforted myself with fruit flavoured jujubes.

*

I've actually got some writing done today due to the pressure I purposely applied to myself, promising the client to have some examples to show by the end of the day. I am learning that when you work at home on a salary you have to pace yourself. That is, you can't do all the work really fast and then have nothing to do, or else they can't justify keeping you on the payroll. Instead, you churn out a small bit each day so it looks as though you're working a steady eight hour day even though it's really only half an hour. In some weird ways it's like a dream come true.

*

No comments: