Wednesday, March 07, 2007

another ten minutes

Today my cell phone company sent me a text message to inform me that their records indicated I was having a birthday tomorrow and that in honour of my special day they will be granting me a day of free text messaging services. Strange, that. I don't remember filling out any forms that asked for my date of birth.

*

I spent the day at my new school shadowing another teacher to learn about the classes I will be taking over. She was very young and new to teaching. At one point she mentioned something annoying that the kids like to try with her, and followed that up with, "You're lucky you're older; maybe they won't try that with you." I was momentarily stunned. Older! It seems like just a minute ago that I was the youngest one on staff and being mistaken for a student.


*

Eevy's blog about egg babies made me laugh and made me remember. She said she accidentally cracked her egg baby's head and drew some hair on him to cover the damage. Suddenly I remembered being in seventh grade Home Economics class and having to make this stupid stuffed telephone from a pattern. I coaxed the girl next to me to do the machine sewing for me and then, where it asked me hand sew the telephone's numbers into place, I used fabric glue and then drew stitches on them with a Sharpie. My teacher, however, was not so easily fooled. I failed the assignment and was shortly thereafter switched into a Drama class.


*


No comments: