Thursday, March 08, 2007

Oh fab, I'm glad, there's lemon-freshened Borax in me

Dear Dixie,
I hope it's not too soon to say that I think I'm going to like my new teaching job. The staff seems really friendly and helpful. The kids are maniacs but I'm chalking that up to the fact that they have a first year teacher who's trying too hard to be both "nice" and "cool" and isn't giving them any boundaries. I'm planning to set some new standards for behaviour next week when I take over properly. I'm anticipating a rough couple of weeks until they figure out that I mean what I say. One of the nice things about being OLDER is that I am confident enough not to care if a thirteen year old doesn't think I'm cool. I remember once you told me that at forty I would undergo a second stage of puberty allowing me to become more assertive with salespeople. Perhaps this will be good practice.

I had a dream last night that M called to ask me to fill in for her on a ski trip and for some reason I felt compelled to go even though I didn't want to, am not a good (or enthusiastic) skier, and already had something important planned on that day. I have been feeling a time pinch again.

Shawn caught my illness and I'm hoping it doesn't become pneumonia as it did in my case, but so far it doesn't look good. He's lying on the couch sleeping, wrapped in the same quilt I spent a week and a half wrapped in. He's not even showing any interest in his video game and what that happens you KNOW it's for real. I made him promise not to go to work tomorrow - and fortunately I have a short day with my student teachers so I'll be able to take my turn being a nursemaid.

I'm planning on spending any free time I manage to find writing for the safety project. I feel like I'm falling behind. My wave of inspiration was short lived.



*

No comments: