Monday, March 05, 2007

whistle while I work

I spent my day in a long meeting with GDJ from home, and A from the safety committee. It's so hilarious working with him and noticing the differences between A and L. In spite of being on the same project, they couldn't be more different.

A likes to get things done quickly with a minimum of discussion. He wants things to be straightforward and dead simple. He likes to stop for a smoke break every hour and a half. He wants greasy Chinese buffet food for lunch. He wears jeans and running shoes to work.

When the meeting with A was over, L stopped by a "minute" of our time.

L glides into a room and brings with him the distinct impression of having stepped out of the shower just a moment ago. He smells soapy and lotiony and pretty. He is wearing a silk tie and a silk shirt with carefully contrasting patterns, almost too loud but in a carefully stylish way. He uses words like "acquiescent" in regular conversation and talks with his hands. He closes his eyes when he's imagining something exciting, which is frequently.

I am unsure how I can please both these men being the same person and same writer that I am in both cases. And yet, it seems to work. A is happy that I'll work well with minimal supervision from him and get things done quickly. L seems overjoyed to see that I've put his own writing into an office template and made it look official. So far I'm doing okay.

Tomorrow I'm back at the University job, trying to make up for all the time I missed while I was stuck in the grade four classroom. This new schedule is going to require a lot of gear shifting. I hope I can keep up with myself.


*

No comments: