Monday, March 19, 2007

see what's become of me

In quantum theory there is a belief that time, being an imaginary construct anyway, is flexible enough to flow in multiple directions. Not only can it flow many ways, but it is not limited to flowing in only one direction at a time.

What this means, simply put, is that some quantum theorists believe that at every crossroads there is one "me" who makes the choice I am currently living out, but simultaneously there is another "me" who made the opposite choice. At every crossroads, perhaps, we split a million times and live out an infinite number of possible outcomes.

I love this idea. But I don't understand how come I have to stick with only one path, especially if I don't especially like the one I am on. Why did my consciousness choose the path where something bad happened, instead of choosing the one where it didn't? And why can't I travel backward and undo it? I've been scrabbling at time for five months now and it still hasn't turned backward for me.

*

No comments: