Sunday, March 04, 2007

silvery streams sacred when spoken

Breakfast was nice. They were awake when I got home and happy to have some treats. Shawn, especially, was happy to see Tim Horton's coffee. I swear, before I married this man I never even tasted TH coffee, and now I feel like an addict willing to go hours out of my way to get it. He's corrupted me.

This afternoon we went shopping and got some things to make the puppy apartments a little easier to manage. Right now the tops on the pens are trying to come loose. We're hoping the new idea will work better. As I type this, I can hear Shawn drilling and clunking around. He doesn't like being a do-it-yourself-er the way I do, but he also cannot abide letting me build or fix things while he watches. Hee.

After getting material for dog apartments, we went to the dreaded Mall. You can tell we were really hard up for something to do because neither of us likes shopping - but on Sundays things are pretty quiet, and getting out for awhile was pleasant. We went to the jewellry store to see if would be possible to have our wedding rings "dipped" to make the white gold more white again, as over the years they have begun to yellow a bit. The clerk astonished me with his honesty in looking at the rings and telling us that he thought the process would make the Gordian love knots around the bands less visible and that the rings didn't look particularly yellow to him anyway. So we left without doing it after all.

We looked at appliances for our new house. Shawn, of course, wants the most expensive and fancy things he can find. I can't imagine why a man who rarely even DOES laundry needs to have such a fancy set up... but he was excited about all the great new appliances we can get that make our already-too-fancy appliances seem outdated. I remember writing, when we first moved here, that I was vaguely frightened of my refrigerator that seemed a little too self-aware for comfort. Of course, since we bought this place and that fridge, they've come out with a newer version that's even closer to being alive. Shawn can hardly wait.

After dreaming of appliances, we dreamed over furniture. It's odd how our respective tastes in things like this have changed and become more similar. I'm certain there was a time when we were polar opposites. We've agreed not to buy anything until we're in the new house. Thank goodness.

At this point, Shawn was suddenly struck by a mad desire for new bedsheets. This was actually a sensible wish since we only have one set of king size sheets that fit our new bed. This has necessitated doing laundry in the mornings so as to have sheets ready for bedtime. Now we have TWO sets and can launder much more haphazardly! Hah, I can't believe how expensive sheets are and how ridiculous my husband can be over things like thread count. He briefly reminded me of Darren with his chocolate breath and American Idol gossip. (Well, not really.)

All the way home Shawn talked about wanting to get a new vehicle. My little '97 Neon has been a good reliable friend for the last ten years, but apparently Shawn thinks the time is coming that she ought to be put out to pasture. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Not that I'm terribly attached to my old car, but I like the fact that this vehicle has already been paid for.

Shawn is a man who likes to spend money. He likes to enjoy what he has. Somehow I have all kinds of money fears that stop me from being able to do that most of the time. I feel guilty when I buy myself things I don't need or aren't economical. Somewhere between us lies a sensible person. (not literally... wouldn't that be weird?)

Shawn is still drilling and I'm getting hungry for dinner. Think I'll take a stroll to the grocery.

-

No comments: