Wednesday, April 02, 2008

visible minorities

Today when I was leaving work, I pushed my way through the crowd of Drama Rats who perpetually block the door and hallway outside the theatre.  I waved goodbye to them, blessed little weirdos, and put on my backpack and started to walk toward the great outdoors.  Just as I was almost gone, I heard the plaintive little voice of one of my grade ten boys rising above the din.  He was calling my name.  I stopped and turned to look at him.

"Yes?  What is it?"

"You have a backpack," he said.

"Yes."  I smiled at him.  "I do.  So what?"

"You're a teacher!  With a backpack."

I wasn't sure what he was getting at.  "Yes."

"Teachers don't have backpacks!" He was indignant.  "You're the anti-teacher!  You're ... well... you're .... "  Here he took a deep breath to gather his thoughts, and then bellowed, "YOU'RE THE PLATYPUS OF TEACHERS!"

*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're so cute at that age.

mischief said...

Sometimes. Also quite strangle-able.