Monday, April 21, 2008

share them with me

I think I am fighting off a cold, the same one that brought down Shawn last week and his Dad the week before.  But thanks to my years of working in public education where I am daily exposed to a disgusting melange of cooties, my immune system is pretty effective, and so the cold is not knocking me right out.  It's just making me feel a little sleepy and draggy.  Shawn and his Dad both took time off work with this, but unfortunately with play rehearsals every day after school, for me to take any time off would be extremely difficult.  Last night I went to bed early and still awoke this morning feeling like I'd give just about anything for another hour in bed.  I guess I'll have to do it again tonight.

*

The studying routine is tough.  I've been trying to get some done every day after school before Shawn gets home but it's not easy.  I know it will be worthwhile in the end... and next school year I will organize my time to allow the odd "sick" day for catching up on both studying and sleep.

*

I'd seen her in the neighbourhood before, noticed the long tangled hair and the gaunt face seeing her through the window of someone's truck.  Heroin probably.  When I handed her the money I tried not to stare at her hand, the fingers so swollen it almost looked like she was wearing gloves.  I was angry with myself for saying yes when no was the right answer.  I've never learned how to say no with any real conviction.

*


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
You prolly dont really 'member me even. I was just lookin....at old places i remembered from long time ago and....i stumbled upon phoenix hope an then....i dug thru even more old links an 'membered comin here an.....i jus wanted to say hi....an thats all really....

~leavin hugs~

maya

mischief said...

Maya, of course I remember you! If you were at Phoenix Hope the other day maybe you even saw that I was thinking about you just a few days ago. I'm glad you're still out there somewhere... how are you doing? (hugs & happy to see you!)