Monday, April 28, 2008

come together right now

I've been feeling some real trepidation at the possibility of Shawn going to New Zealand.  It isn't that he's decided to go.  It's just that I've asked him to think about it and decide what's truly best for him - and this forces me to think about it as a possibility too.

We've always been like this, encouraging each other to follow our dreams even when the dream takes us apart from each other at times.  Sometimes other people have made comments about that as though we must not truly love each other as much as other couples because, "I could never live apart from X for any time.  We just love each other too much to do that."  I call bullshit.  

Love isn't about being afraid of being alone.  Love is about wanting what's truly best for someone else even when it's not what's best for you.  Better yet, even when it's the opposite of what's best for you.  I love him so much that I want him to pursue his dreams even when it hurts me.  That's a lot of love.  Kinda sucks.

I'm holding my breath a little.

*




No comments: