Tuesday, April 03, 2007

hand-eye coordination.

This morning when I was conferencing with one of my student teachers she started to cry because she thought she was doing a terrible job of becoming a teacher. We had a long talk.... I hope she felt better at the end of it. This is a part of my job that I haven't really had to do much in the past, having worked with student teachers who've all been pretty confident and comfortable with their skills. But I felt like I did alright at talking her through the experience and figuring out how to handle her feelings. I really want her to be successful.

It's been an unusually difficult term this time. Yesterday I met with another student teacher who was so shy she could barely look at me. And every Monday morning I meet with Ms. Angry who is always... angry. And then there's my girl who sees dead people. Whew. It's been a difficult term. Only four weeks to go.

*

I met Jenny for lunch just off campus. We had a nice visit, though they always seem so short. She's going home tomorrow.

*

When Shawn and I left home in the summer of '05 it wasn't easy to go. We were leaving behind family and long term friends. I was leaving behind a career. And a history.

Now we've been here nearly two years. In some ways this has become home, but mostly home is just wherever he is. Shawn's been applying for a lot of jobs, jobs that appeal to his sense of creativity. And I'm intrigued by the idea of travel, especially now while traveling is easy. If we end up moving from this city I'll be sorry to leave behind the pretty house we designed... but I think that no matter what happens it will be a great adventure.


*




No comments: