Monday, April 23, 2007

from Tolstoy to Tinkerbell

Puppy D and I went for a half hour run outside this afternoon, his First Ever and my first of the spring. Technically, one isn't supposed to "run" for sustained periods of time with puppies because it jars the growth plates that aren't finished developing. However, lucky for Puppy D, his mama isn't in very good shape anymore after a few months of Stationary Sad and so he wasn't taxed much at all by my efforts. I don't think he ever actually felt he was "running" and was probably not terribly impressed. We came in at a pretty lazy stroll, in fact, and while I was managing to move faster I made sure his paws were hitting grass rather than pavement.

It was definitely work for my body but the emotional, spiritual, and mental healing that came from it was overwhelming. Sunshine and cool air... it clears the mind.

I'm ready to start running regularly again now. I'm determined to give Puppy D a run for his kibble.

*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puppies are so direly cute when they run. All legs and ears. *squee!*

mischief said...

Puppy D still hasn't grown into his ears and can't figure out in which direction he would most like them to point. :)