Monday, December 18, 2006

so I can feel you breathe

T. & I. argue about his addiction to videogames. She makes fun of him for all the hours he spends building up characters and makes him sound stupid for caring about it. She talks to me conspiratorially about how she would like to smash his computer. She asks if I feel the same way. I really don't. I can't say I fully understand why they love the games so much, but it doesn't bother me. I don't play WOW or anything so complex, but I think that all boils down to the fact that I am not a very patient person where it comes to things like that. There's too much to learn and I can't sit still long enough to learn it.

But as far as character flaws go, being married to a man who loves videogames hasn't caused me any emotional harm. His love of videogames became a career - one that allowed me to quit my job and waste time for an entire year.... one that would allow me to never work again if I wanted it that way. One that has bought us a new jetted tub and all the hardwood floors I ever dreamed of.

All greed aside, I'm proud of him. Purely proud of him for accomplishing the very thing he always wanted. I don't fully understand what draws him to it - but knowing he is a respected professional doing what he always dreamed of doing is a dream come true for me.

I told I. that the fact he likes to play videogames a lot doesn't bother me at all. He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't gamble, he doesn't fool around with other women, he doesn't steal, he doesn't hurt me. Those are the things that matter to me. An addiction to World of Warcraft is something I will happily endure.



*

We were watching one of those idiotic shows about rich people and their money - the lavish lifestyles that people live after they win huge lotteries. And we were trying to figure out, if we were billionaires, how our lives would be different, and how they would stay the same.

On the show, there was a woman who was having "diamond manicures". Literally, she was having thin slices of diamonds shaved and glued onto the tips of her fingernails. This is the kind of thing that I can say I am positive I would not do if I was billionaire. Not even if I never had to think about money ever again.

If I was a billionaire, I would travel a lot more. And I would start projects in Africa to teach and educate the people. I would bring them my gifts myself rather than relying on World Vision.

I would not buy a bigger house. Our current house is 1900 square feet... and the new one is about 2300. That, already, seems too big. It's certainly more than I want to clean. I wouldn't buy a bigger house - but I'd certainly buy a bigger piece of land to put it on. I wouldn't have neighbours that I could see, or whose children would run through my flowerbeds.

What I would spend money on is a cleaning staff. I HATE cleaning - but I like things to be clean. And I would spend money on a chef to cook my meals. I'm a bad cook.

Most of all, if I was a billionaire, I would hire a personal shopper to do my Christmas shopping for me.



*

No comments: