Wednesday, December 13, 2006

guaranteed approval

My poor little puppy girl had oral surgery today and now she has a lot less teeth. It's a strange thing how her mouth got so infected because we've brushed her teeth every day since we got her. The vet said that her teeth are too crowded together because she's so wee and so she doesn't have enough gum tissue between her teeth to keep out the germies. He said it's like a window without weather stripping, which made sense to my need-a-visual brain. Anyway, now she has less teeth so there will be more gum to go around for the ones that remain. She's all sore and tired and I feel sorry for her. I don't do well with stuff like this, so maybe I shouldn't have kids after all. Shawn's decided to stay home with her tomorrow since I have to go to the University. He didn't seem so sad about taking a day off, and I'm happy that she won't be alone.

*

Today's corporate meeting was productive but boring. A nice thing about these corporate meetings is that when the work gets done faster than expected they just let you go home early. In a lot of other jobs I've had, your reward for being a fast worker is more work to keep you occupied until the official quitting time. It doesn't inspire much work ethic. That's one of the reasons I thought it would be good for me to be self-employed; I work fast. I procrastinate a lot, but when I get started, I really am quick. (Of course when I wanted to be self-employed I didn't take into account the fact that I would lose my mind being home all the time.)


*

I got a message today letting me know that the little story I wrote was selling fast, which was a nice surprise, especially since they asked me to write more. It's nice when unexpected little things like that go well.


*

The Pilates studio called to tell us the class we signed up for was cancelled due to lack of interest. So now we have a number of choices. Either we can take that class on a variety of different weeknights instead of a Saturday morning, or we can take the advanced class instead of the intermediate class... or we can take the beginning class again. I'm leaning toward taking the beginner class again, particularly since I'm not feeling terribly competent at Pilates anyway. And I really don't want to commit to a weeknight instead of a weekend.

We've registered Little Puppy in a class on Monday nights that starts next month... She already has basic obedience/ clicker training, but this class (it's called RallyO) is supposed to be good for developing confidence and getting exercise. For wild party folk like us, one night out a week seems like enough.


*

Because he was slow on the draw, Shawn briefly thought we weren't going to get a table at his company Christmas party this year. I could really care less about the dance and party, but I was kind of sorry about missing out on the dinner and entertainment. Well, honestly I was mostly looking forward to ordering mixed drinks that get poured through the ice sculpture on the way to the glass.

In the end, it turned out that R&G submitted our names to save us a seat at their table, so we were taken care of. Sometimes Shawn is even more disorganized than I am.

No comments: