Saturday, November 15, 2008

do you have the time to listen to me whine?

Maybe this sounds like I'm trying to be funny but I'm not. I've noticed that I've been drinking a lot more wine lately. Wine used to be a social thing, a drink I had only when we were out with other people. More recently I've been drinking it every weekend with Shawn, and more recently than that I've begun to think about whether or not I can get away with having a glass on a school night, and wondering how early is too early to start in the evenings.

I know this isn't abnormal by "average" standards, but it isn't average for me. Beyond my binge drinking days in university (and well into my twenties with K!) I am not really a big drinker. I've never been someone who had a nightly drink, and though I know that much of the world does this, it marks a change in my life that I am tempted to do this now. The thing I don't like about it is that if I can so easily, under all this pressure, go from drinking once a week to drinking (or at least fantasizing about drinking) daily, how much more pressure would it take to begin drinking a nightly few drinks, or a bottle, or perhaps having a nip in the morning before work? How slippery is this slope anyway?

It's not like addiction isn't an issue enough already. This perplexes me. I am having a glass of wine while I ponder on it.


*

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I always have time to listen to you whine, scream, cry, laugh..you name it, my ears are open.

Love you