Sunday, November 19, 2006

take it to the bridge, throw it overboard

Dinner was nice but Shawn and I were both feeling a little subdued. Those moods still come and go. Whenever I look at him and see he's feeling sad I get all teary and choked up. But we made it through the night and had a nice time.

There was another couple there - something we hadn't expected. They were nice too. Shawn thinks it's funny that when we spend time with our friends from the UK that I revert back to my accent too. I don't really notice it... but I'm not surprised, either. It's how I learned to talk.

Shawn bought me a cell phone today. I've never had a cell phone before. Now that I'm doing more teaching and travelling all over the city, he says he wants me to be able to get in touch with him and vice versa if necessary. It's a strange thing, having this electronic device that I've resisted so long. I realise I'm one of the last people in North America to have one, but I was fine without it. When we went into the store, we went straight for the "basic" phones, as I have no need or wish to take photographs or home movies with my telephone, and I was immediately drawn to a tiny bright green phone that looked kind of like a little bug with two antennae. I asked the saleslady about that one and she and Shawn exchanged this look which was clearly meant to mean that I was a bit daft and she told me it was a child's phone. Child's phone means that it can only receive calls from four different numbers. It's so that parents can keep track of their kids. I thought it was quite lovely, and I don't plan on giving my cell phone number to anyone but Shawn, so I can't imagine that he has four different numbers he would call me from. Nonetheless, it was decided without me that this phone was just a little too basic and that I would have the one that could receive calls from anywhere and could also receive text messages. (Gads, why?) This phone was blue and not in a bright kooky way, but rather a cool midnight blue meant to look slick and businesslike. Not very exciting.

I am a little frightened of this phone, though Shawn called me from the house phone several times while he sat across from me to let me practice with the buttons. Soon I'll be one of those jerks talking on my phone in the movie theatre and behind the wheel of my car and as I sit across from my friends in restaurants.



*

No comments: