Sunday, November 26, 2006

hard road to travel on

We drove all the way home and back today - three and a half hours in each direction - to see my niece for her birthday. Because the drive was so long, we couldn't really stay more than about an hour and a half, so we ate lunch and turned around and came home.

The weather is just awful. There was drifting snow on the highways and you couldn't really tell where the horizon was. The snow and the sky were almost exactly the same colour of wild blue-grey. It makes you feel like the thin black ribbon of highway is a rollercoaster in space and you just might fall off. You really might, you know. We saw cars in the ditch all over the place.

My niece was excited to see us, though, and happy with her gifts, and that made it worthwhile even though the travelling part wasn't a lot of fun. I fell asleep on the way home for awhile, the way I always do. I'm lucky Shawn likes driving and doesn't mind when I nod off.

I've been having vivid dreams lately.


*

No comments: