Monday, May 13, 2013

breathe

The union sent someone out to see me today.  She pressured me to drop my complaint.  She told me it would turn out badly if I allowed the employer to handle the problem, and told me stories of other happy colleagues who have allowed the union to mediate with great success.  I told her no.  I had to say no three times before she finally accepted it and left.  I imagine this means the union will now mobilize to protect Crazy Sue from the employer.  This is scary.  But I'm going to see it through.


*

I finally spoke to the employer of the Crossing Guard who shouted at me.  This was a positive experience; he was receptive and agreed with me that the Crossing Guard doesn't get to scream at me.  This gave me hope.  I don't understand why we can't talk to the boss, why we can't rely on the boss to do the right thing.  Don't they usually?  Am I being naive?  Guess I will find out in short order.


*

I think I'm sick.  I feel weird, no appetite and so so so tired.  And I have a cold sore.  (I named it Sue.)  I keep trying to sleep but my adrenal system is in overdrive.  I can't sleep until this is resolved.


*


We had the Free Preview of the show this afternoon for a forgiving little audience of best friends and Drama geeks.  It went reasonably well, a typical first show with a few little glitches but pretty good for the most part.  I think we're as ready as we're going to be, and once production week is over I'm just coasting into summer.


*

6 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

The union people should be allowed to ask you only once, and then leave you the hell alone. You have the right to pursue this however you see fit.

mischief said...

Yes, thank you, I agree. Once and only once. And I'd prefer a phone call to being dropped in on with no warning. It was a bit like having one of those religious organizations drop in on you when you're trying to enjoy an evening hanging out in front of the tv in pajamas. I can only assume this tactic works, which means there are other people like me in similar situations who were pressured into going against their convictions.

Therese said...

WHAT? There is a system for formal complaints put in place exactly for situations like yours, and god knows you've tried other routes, including an infinity of patience and grin n bear it. It's ok to be scared. It's scary. But you've come to this point organically; it's meant to happen this way. Follow through and keep us updated.

Spindrift said...

You are my hero, if this were me i would have run. I guess this is part of the reason i admire you so much. You are courageous in the face of fear. I hope this is resolved painlessly for you and they care for you for how much you have already suffered.

Nic said...

Go get 'em ;) x

mischief said...

Therese, I agree with you but I'm so unfamiliar with the system I just don't know if I can actually trust it to work the way it's supposed to in my mind. It's been a full week now and I've heard absolutely nothing. Makes it hard to sleep because I keep running the worst case scenario in my head...

Spin, you are too sweet. I don't feel courageous right now at all but I'm trying to be. I feel like the best I can do is keep showing up for work because that's difficult enough.

Thanks Nic, I think they've been got. Or at least, I'm finished going. x