Wednesday, March 28, 2012

more things about dogs

Tomorrow Emory and Dorian are going to the vet to have their teeth cleaned.  Have I mentioned that I hate taking my dogs to the vet?  I particularly hate it when they have to go under anesthesia because I worry that something will go wrong and they won't come back.  And I feel like a terrible dog parent when I can't give them breakfast in the morning --which they look forward to so much!-- before we go to the vet's office.  It all makes me anxious.

But they need their teeth cleaned.  Ophelia had hers done a couple of months ago now if I remember correctly. And Palmer had his done only about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Now it's time for the brothers to have theirs done, and then all my pups will have clean sparkly teeth.  Even Ophelia, who has very few teeth to speak of, boasts good oral health.  We brush their teeth every night before bed, and even still, these dental cleanings are necessary.  Italian Greyhounds, like many small breeds, are susceptible to bad teeth.  I want them to be healthy.  And also not to have landfill breath.


*

9 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I hope the cleaning went well, and they are all happily eating breakfast again with their nice, shining white teeth.

mischief said...

Thanks Susan, it all went fine. Dorian was stoic as always, and Emory cried like a baby, which is also typical. Emory had a skin tag removed from his knee at the same time, which amused me because although the vet said it wasn't strictly necessary she wanted to do it while he was already under sedation. Cosmetic surgery for dogs! Who knew?

Secret Agent Woman said...

Once the alpha dog, always the alpha dog!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I used to think that I wanted to get an Iggy as a mini-me for our greyhound. Maybe a whippet, too, so they could be like the three bears.

mischief said...

Iggies are so different from English greyhounds as far as personalities go... They are quite hyperactive (when they aren't fast asleep). I wonder if they'd all get along? It would certainly make for some cute photos.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I suspect Iggies would unnerve greyhounds. Greyhounds are fairly placid creatures (when they aren't tearing around in circles).

mischief said...

I think so too. We don't take our IGs to the dog park because bigger dogs tend to find them a little *too* interesting. That is, I think some dogs think they're rabbits or squirrels or something yummy to chase. Big dogs also seem to find their quick movements upsetting. They really are like little hummingdogs.

Nic said...

Brushing dog's teeth? Is that normal over there? We don't do it here. We give them a dental stick, wait for them to turn black and whip the things out. Sounds quite cruel put that way, but it is what we do nonetheless. In fact you have to be quite eccentric to brush a dog's teeth. People like that tend to enter dog shows, and anybody who enters a dog show should have their ears boxed. But I think that is possibly a personal opinion rather than one felt by the public as a whole.

mischief said...

Not to dismiss the possibility that we're highly eccentric, but I think it's sort of common here. At least, the vets push it as a good idea. I'm not really sure how many people actually do it. Maybe it's just the Italian Greyhound people that do it... they really do have horrible teeth if you don't brush them. Eh, who knows? Maybe we're the only ones. It's entirely possible.

Our dogs are genderless, so dog shows are out. They're all also rather imperfect as far as their breed goes --- which is exactly the way I like them.