Friday, March 16, 2012

sharing the name

Bill 22 passed, to the surprise of naïve young teachers across the province.  They actually thought the government couldn't take away their right to strike.  They thought this because they haven't been paying attention or because they are too young to remember the past.  Now they are disheartened and talk of leaving the profession.  This is also because they haven't been paying attention or are too young to remember the past.  The government is always threatening to destroy public education; it's a great Canadian tradition.  And nothing really changes.  At least not fast enough so that anyone notices.  I would like, in some way, to be outraged by what has transpired, but I'm not.  I'm mildly irritated.  And not in the least bit surprised.  Mostly I'm just tired of hearing about it.  


*


I have spent the last week writing curriculum for GDJ, which is what I always seem to do during my breaks.  It's uplifting that I find myself writing about patient and public engagement for the healthcare system while other public services are in such dismal condition.  This government has another year in control.


Of all people, I understand why we give up hope for public services being useful or helpful in any capacity.  Public services cost so much money and there's so little immediate, measurable return on investment.  And it's easy to pretend that individuals get sucked into social holes because they are stupid or lazy or weak.  It's simpler to assume that vulnerable populations have chosen their lot in life and therefore are undeserving of assistance.  


When I was 21 I thought I would solve the world's social problems handing out apples and dry socks to the homeless downtown, talking to them a few minutes a day.  Sharing my time and my heart and my lunch.  I thought I had all the answers.  Now that I recognize the complexity of the problem, I can forgive myself for thinking this way.  But not for having no ideas about what to do next.  






*















8 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm quite surprised by all of this. I've always assumed that Canada was far more civilized than its neighbor to the south, where I live.

mischief said...

We like to tell ourselves that. In some ways it's true, especially with regard to public health care. But there are still problems, growing social problems, and our politicians are just as susceptible to shortsightedness, corruption, and plain old stupidity.

Secret Agent Woman said...

It's hard to know what to do any more.

mischief said...

Yes. It makes me sad.

Nic said...

Apples and socks will always be the most important bit, I think.

mischief said...

I need to believe that, still. Because what else can I do? I want to be able to make big changes... but apples and socks are really all the power I've got.

Jerry said...

I suspect if most people displayed the concern that you do...even at the level of apples and socks, one would see a dramatic change.

But note, one person can make a change, even if it is to one other person. That cannot be discounted so easily.

mischief said...

That's true. It's hard to remember that sometimes, but I think it's important.