Tuesday, March 27, 2012

dog days

We've already covered the fact that I'm not much of a cook, so you won't be surprised if I confess that I eat dinner out of little plastic trays sometimes.  Not because I'm trying to cut calories, not because I think they taste particularly good, but because I'm really lazy about cooking.

After I'm done eating, I usually let the puppies lick the container because I'm generous like that.  My favourite thing is that as all four pups crowd around angling for the best position, Ophelia frequently grips the tray in her very few remaining teeth and runs off with it.  It's almost as big as she is, and she trips over it as she runs.

Once she has made her escape from the pack, she settles with her treat on the big dog bed by the heater and has her way with it.  The other dogs stand close by waiting for her to finish, but they know better than to try and share it with her once she has decided it's hers.  (I particularly like the intense concentration upon Dorian's face in these photos as he waits for Ophelia to finish.)  I don't really know how it's possible that they respect her so much.  They all outweigh her by at least twice as much, and even if she is angry she only has about four teeth left to bite with.  Must be in the attitude.

6 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I dearly hope to inspire some respect when I have only four teeth in my head.

mischief said...

Me too! There's much to be learned from how dogs conduct themselves...

Ellen said...

That's my girl!!! In total control of her minions, as it should be.
Hugs and kisses to you and the pups.

mischief said...

She really is, and I'm glad about it too. I like it when she bosses them around.
Hugs and kisses to you and your pack too. xoxo

Nic said...

How wonderful! And I don't think I have ever met a dog called either Dorian or Ophelia. When I do the plastic meals (and I do occasionally, though they taste awful over here), I still, even now, hold the tray in my hand, so used to popping it on the floor and watching it being led by nose around the house. It saddens me so much that I can't buy them now. This is actually no bad thing, because though she loved cheese sauce from the macaroni cheese one, I didn't much. Little tinker.

Nic said...

Oh, do you have any antihistamines that work? I used to find them helpful though the really good ones which were labelled non-drowsy made me nod off on a pile of marking. Or maybe it was just the pile of marking.