Thursday, March 01, 2012

I'm on strike, starting officially on Monday.  The union was required to give 48 hours notice, and it has been officially given.  I can practically hear the government rubbing their hands in glee and counting the dollars they'll save while 41 thousand teachers are not being paid.  Caught between a dictatorial union and a dictatorial government, I cannot decide which I would rather demonstrate against.  But the union insists I join their picket lines to earn my strike pay (which isn't much), and I am tempted to refuse to participate.  I wonder if I could get paid for picketing the union office instead.


*

4 comments:

Jerry said...

I once was a strike breaker -- driving through the picket line for the sake of 'management'. I tried bringing boxes of donuts for the people on the line, and they smiled in thanks....but still got nails in my tires.

mischief said...

Yeah, there's some of that going on here too. It's amazing how fired up people get about these things. I would like to be allowed to act upon my own conscience, but it's not permitted.

Nic said...

I always ignored such things. Perhaps there was a bit of fence sitting involved, but more likely I could not be arsed. But you know what I am like with these things...

xxx P

mischief said...

Me too, I have trouble getting worked up about things that make such a minimal difference on my paycheque. And to the world at large. But I guess the world needs these types that want to defend public education because otherwise it would be going downhill much faster. I know I should be more angry, but it's too tiring being angry.