Thursday, March 22, 2012

sangeet

Having lived five years in one of the most multicultural cities in Canada, we were finally invited to an Indian wedding.  (Being in our late thirties, Shawn and I do not have many friends anymore who are at the wedding stage.  We've been through that stage, and the having-kids stage, and now we are at stage where our friends are all getting divorces.)  So a wedding was a nice change.

The traditional Indian wedding, if you've never been to one, is quite an affair.  Last night we attended the pre-wedding ceremonty called sangeet, which is a party primarily for the women in the family.

At the start of the ceremony the bride was symbolically "washed" by the women in preparation for the wedding.


At the end of that part of the ceremony, first her parents said their symbolic goodbye to the bride, and then her two brothers said their goodbyes.


After that it was time to party.  The women danced while their images were projected on a large screen so everyone could watch.  The men ate and drank, and watched their beautiful wives dance.  (This poor photo doesn't really capture how celebratory the mood was, how the music beat in my chest, or how delicious the dinner was.)



In this great hall with more than 300 guests, I think we were the only non-Indian family in attendance.  It was an honour to be welcomed to participate in this beautiful tradition.

Tonight there will be a mehndi ceremony, at which the women paint henna designs upon the hands and arms of the bride and her family.

And then on Saturday we will attend the wedding and reception.


*

4 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

That sounds really cool. I love weddings of all sorts - such an expression of optimism.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

It sounds beautiful! I've never been to an Indian wedding either, and would love to. I always cry at weddings, though, despite my best efforts to be stoical.

mischief said...

It was great. And oooh I love Indian food so much. It was the best of everything all at once.

Nic said...

Oh how beautiful! When I was young and wanting to get married, I always wondered if I could have an Indian style wedding. I wear a lot of Indian clothes, myself, and I just loved all the colours and the fabrics...And then I saw a white dress which I fell in love with and it all changed. And then I forgot about marriage. And then I wore blacks and browns and blues. And now I look at all the colours in my wardrobe and tell myself to climb into them. I don't know why it doesn't feel right, but it doesn't. It'll come, it'll come...