Thursday, April 05, 2012

I wrote it for you.

It surprised me to find synesthesia described as a neurological condition; synesthesia, I thought, was the way the mind was meant to work, one sense triggering another to create a whole understanding.  I stopped explaining that I liked 6 because he was affable and generous, and disliked 7 because she was calculating and cruel.  But not because it stopped being true, only because it seemed to waste time to talk about it.  These things were obvious.  Doesn't everyone see music in colour?  No, they don't.  Sometimes it looks like oscilloscopic waves.  But wait, you don't hear sparkles hit the pavement when it snows?  (Not since I moved to Vancouver, where the snow doesn't make sparkly sounds.  Vancouver snow mostly just says blop.  Or whuhh, when it starts to accumulate.)





*

4 comments:

Nic said...

I thought synesthesia had been made redundant these days, but I actually know nothing about it whatsoever. Only that if I was going to choose a sensory overload then I would make it that one, I think.

Anyhow, I don't think you wrote it for me, so I will get out of the picture. It is feeling a little orange.

mischief said...

Does orange make you feel you should leave? I quite like orange, actually. It's a funny colour... needs to be used sparingly, but can really be so warm and welcoming. My husband likes to paint walls orange sometimes, or just little nooks in the house. One small space that is bright orange. It can be quite a startling effect. And yet, I like it. Our kitchen nook is orange right now.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I get mood feelings from colors, some friendly, some not. But not strongly. You might like this post about my sons synthesia:
http://deepergroundblog11.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-son-synesthete.html

mischief said...

Very interesting. I'm following his logic about the colour of names; I also feel troubled by the dissonance when a person's face and name do not match.