Thursday, April 12, 2012

Have you ever heard that your allergies can change every seven years?  I don't really know if this is true or not because I read it in some stupid fashion magazine which assured me that the fact that I am currently allergic to eye makeup does not mean I will always be allergic to it.  Apparently in just seven years I might conquer my allergy to parabens or whatever it is that makes eye makeup so toxic to me.

Fortunately I am not a very makeuppy kind of person so I can wait.

But I have my doubts about this seven year theory.  I've been allergic to ragweed ever since I could (not) breathe and that hasn't changed one bit.  And latex, well, it's been more than seven years since I last came in contact with latex... and it still strikes terror in my heart and other parts.  Seven years doesn't touch that kind of fear.  I am unconvinced.  And unwilling to test.

And if applying eye makeup is likely to make my eyes turn bright red and burn all day, I probably won't want to test that in seven years from now either.

What if I keep developing new allergies every seven years until I am allergic to everything?  A life without latex, pollen, erythromycin, and makeup is still pretty liveable.  But imagine.  What if I become allergic to... wine?  Or popcorn?  Or wine!  Life could become pretty miserable, couldn't it, if this seven year theory is true.


*

6 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I think the seven year thing is bunk. It doesn't even make sense. I have been allergic to cats and dogs all my life, for instance. And I know people can develop allergies with repeated exposure. Around here, the pollen has been crazily high because of the warm, wet spring and people who have never had allergy problems are suffering. I used to have little reaction to poison ivy but now that I garden and have had multiple exposures, I am now wildly reactive to it.

Fortunately, I think people rarely develop allergies to wine or popcorn. Or wine.

mischief said...

Yeah, it seems hard to believe. And if it's true, then why am I only adding to my list of allergies and not losing any? Theoretically I should be just as likely to STOP being allergic to something as to gain new allergies.
I am greatly comforted to learn that you don't think I'll become allergic to wine or popcorn. That would be so disappointing.

Nic said...

Yes, tis true, actually. Well, a lot of research points towards it, anyway, and it happened to me. Now I have a severe allergy when I encounter stupid people. It makes me want to run away. Do you have that one?

mischief said...

Ahh, that's an allergy? I thought it was a phobia. I get the phobic symptoms... rapid heart, cold sweats. :) Is there a nasal spray or something I can take for it?

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'd like to see the data from the research suggesting that 7-year cycle. I can't think of any physiological reason why allergies would appear and disappear in a cycle like that.

Nic said...

To SAW, Not even sure where I read the study now. Some doctors somewhere. Lancet, I think. Something to do with the rejuvenation of cells in the body. Maybe it is utter tosh and I have been sucked in. Wouldn't surprise me.

Mischief - No, sadly not. No spray. You can have both, of course: fearing stupid people and having a bad reaction to them. I just know that when I encounter them, my eyes run a lot and I find it hard to breathe. ;-)