Tuesday, April 17, 2012

tachycardia

I like my doctor.  This doesn't mean I like going to see him, because I hate it.  But as it's one of those things that needs doing, I'd rather see him than any other doctor I have had so far in my life.  He's very pleasant.  I have a terrible case of White Coat Syndrome, and with him I only feel like I might faint from nervousness for the first few minutes of the appointment rather than all the way through.

My appointment this morning was interesting.  It was just the yearly check-up thing, no specific concerns.  But he took my pulse and blood pressure and noticed my racing heart.  A racing heart is typical for me when I go to the doctor's office -- but I guess it was racing extraordinarily fast.  Enough that it worried him a bit.  He asked me a billion questions about my sex drive and whether or not my ears ring, whether I ever feel paranoid or depressed, whether my chest feels tight and painful... and so forth.  In the end he was a bit stumped, probably because I don't really have most of the symptoms he was concerned about, and yet, he really felt that my heart was too fast even with White Coat Syndrome taken into consideration.

So.  I got to have a blood test to check for hypothyroidism.  I don't really have most of the obvious symptoms associated with hypothyroidism (weight gain, swollen neck, depression, fatigue) but I do sometimes experience tinnitus (ear ringing) and have once in awhile experienced dizziness.  And there's these crazy red eyes I've developed lately, which I thought were associated with either hayfever or allergy to make up.  Apparently they can also be a symptom of hypothyroidism.  Or hyperthyroidism.  Or something.

And I also got to have my first ECG (electrocardiogram), which is a heart test.  I had to go to another office for that test where a man stuck paper electrodes all over my chest, arms, and legs, and then attached wires to them that looked quite a bit like the wires that connect to the computer router in my house.  (It is possible he was uploading information from my brain into a computer.  He won't find anything useful.) He looked alarmed when he saw my heart rate too and asked me if I was experiencing any shortness of breath.  Nope, I feel normal.  Or maybe, this isn't what normal feels like.  Maybe I just feel normal for me.  Because I have always had a racy heart, for as long as I can remember.

All this was mildly worrisome, but mostly it really made me wonder about my past experiences with doctors.  I have had several different doctors over the years, and in the diffferent cities where I have lived.  And I have grown accustomed to them noticing my heart rate and saying, Wow, your heart is fast.  (yep)  Did you drink a lot of coffee today?  (yep)  Are you nervous? (yep)  But no one has ever pursued the issue beyond that point.  It makes me wonder, if my heart rate is really so unusually fast, why is this the first doctor that has ever tried to find out why?  Which brings me back to the original point, which is that I like my doctor.

*

8 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

Good to have a through doctor. I hope it's nothing serious.

mischief said...

Thanks! I'm really glad to have a doctor who is interested in going the extra mile. And I'm glad to live in a country where an ECG test is covered by health care. Apparently they cost about $1500!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I hope you'll be okay. It seems to me that a racing heart would be symptomatic of hyperthyroidism, not hypo, but I am not a medical person.

I was put on thyroid meds about 10 years ago for supposed hypothyroidism, although I had none of the symptoms: Weight gain, lethargy, etc. I still question why I need them, but apparently once you're on them it's impossible to stop. (Like the roach motel - you can't get out again.) I'm glad you have a good doctor.

mischief said...

I thought the exact same thing, that the racing heart should be hyper, not hypo. Since the test I've been madly internet-diagnosing myself and it seems that I have symtoms that fall in both categories. But the weird thing is that I didn't really know I had any symptoms until I started reading the lists. I never felt sick or anything. It's just that if someone gives you a long list of general symptoms, I think you're bound to have experienced some of them. I thought everyone heard that ear-ringing sound from time to time. No? I wish it didn't take a month to get the results.

How interesting that you can't stop taking the medication once you start. What would happen, I wonder? Haha, roach motel. You sound as though you doubt that hypothyroidism was really the case? Is this one of those things that doctors overdiagnose, maybe?

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm hoping it's nothing serious... but just glad that someone is looking into it in case it is.

Kels said...

Oh My...silly girl you are not allowed to play worrisome tricks with your health. I demand you stop this instant!
Ok...now, please keep me posted on what's happening with you. PLEASE.
Also it does sound more hyper than hypo, and also sounds like it could be one of your parathyroids (you have 4). If you need something else to look up look up hyper-parathyroidism. If nothing else it's a lonnnng word that's kind of fun to say. Be Okay!!!! ~kisses and hugs~ XOXOXO

mischief said...

Sheesh, there's no end to what can go wrong with a person's health, is there? I hope that's just a vocabularly word for me and not a condition I need to manage. Sounds like no fun. I notice one of the syptoms is "stupor", which is certainly me, haha. xxx

Nic said...

Hm. That is a bit rubbish, isn't it? I do hope you are okay. I had an ECG. It's all sticky. It went boom diddy boom diddy boom so I guess it was okay.

Don't ever, ever look anything up on the internet. I have died 27 times already.

mischief said...

Yup, the internet is full of health horrors. After reading a bit I've determined it's best for me to stay away and wait to see what my doctor says instead.