Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A day off work means time for lazy internet surfing.  As usual, I'm far behind where it comes to technology and social media and things like that.  The other day I asked my grade eights to explain "Tumblr" to me.  After listening to them for at least 20 minutes I still have no idea what it really means or why one does it.  Or why it must be misspelled.  Strange.

The other thing I don't understand is "Pinterest" which is something that recently started appearing on my friends' Facebook accounts.  From what I can gather it's a place where K sticks pictures of foods she wants to cook, LF uses it to save pictures of decorating ideas for her house, and for JE it is a place to post his children's artwork.  I still don't understand how it's different from a Facebook photo album or why it has abruptly become so popular.

Sometimes I wish things would stop changing so I could catch up.



*

9 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I have decided to limit myself to FB and my blog. Pinterest I don't even really get, nor Tumblr.

mischief said...

Yup, me too. That's about all the social media I can handle. Even that much seems unmanageable at times.

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

I do Pin...mostly because I have friends who pin recipe and DIY ideas that I like to steal and it doesn't leave me with magazine pages torn out and cluttering my house. With pinterest it's not just the picture you save, it's a link to the recipe, or instructions on how to make a birdhouse out of soda bottles or whatever. I don't think I'm so much a pinner as I am a thief...Maybe it's the rebellious sound of that that I like about it.
However I do not twit and have no idea how to tumbl.

mischief said...

Thank you for the Pinterest explanation! Now I understand it much better. It has become so popular so fast... it's everywhere now!

Nic said...

I have seen it used helpfully like Kels says, and they are the ones I am more likely to look at. Many, though, are just pictures of things people want and haven't got. And as soon as I read, 'Oh, I have just got to have this. Isn't it darling?', my allergy starts up again.

mischief said...

Yes, that doesn't interest me either. I have a friend who dog ears pages in magazines to remind herself to buy things. I always think, if I need to remind myself to buy it I probably don't really need it.

Nic said...

Where, oh where, is Mischief?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I reluctantly joined Facebook after vowing not to, ever, and have indeed found it to be a remarkable time-waster. I don't do Twitter or Pinterest, though, just my blog occasionally.