Friday, July 29, 2011

Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld so I can sigh eternally

When GDJ first offered me a job doing technical writing for his company, he proposed that we also begin sleeping together.  Not, he pointed out, that one offer hinged upon the other.  He told me his wife cheated on him all the time and he therefore felt entitled.  He said I was perfect for him because the fact that I was also married meant that I had just as much to lose as he did.  (Flattering.)  I still do not really understand what he meant by that, but I did not ask him for clarification.  I accepted the job and turned down the affair.  He was okay with that.

Since then I have continued to work for GDJ off and on.  We used to teach together when I was about 24.  Now he owns a great big company with huge important clients and makes million dollar deals.  Since that first suggestion, he occasionally checks in to see if I have changed my mind.  He overpays me ridiculously, and I can never decide if there is something unethical about my letting him.  In any case the writing keeps me busy and prevents me from wanting to lay tile.


*

I am up to running an hour and a half again after several lazy winter months of half-hour treadmill treks.  Running outside is so much more fun.  I keep forgetting my watch, but I can figure out when I have to turn around in time to make it back to catch J after her riding lesson if I stop when I reach this strange structure on the beach.  I think it looks like a little boat made of driftwood, with a giraffe for a figurehead.


This afternoon, just after I turned around at the driftwood boat, I saw a crow on the path ahead of me.  At first I hoped it would let me get very close, which is what I always hope when I see animals when I am out running.  But then, as I actually did get closer to it, much closer to it, I started to be worried.  I was worried because I was pretty sure something was wrong with it.  It just isn't normal for a bird to let you get close enough, almost, to touch it.  I started wondering if it had a broken wing, because that's the worst thing I can imagine happening to a bird.  My heart started pounding fast, not just from running but the anxious kind of heart pounding.  It seems odd, in retrospect, that I was so worried about that bird, but I was.  As I was just about upon it, my mind filled with ridiculous and disgusting images of mouth-to-beak resuscitation, the crow casually hopped a few steps and then flew up into the lower branches of a tree where it sat looking at me.  I have heard that crows are very, very intelligent.  I wonder if this one was conducting some sort of experiment on me.




*

9 comments:

secret agent woman said...

No doubt. Did you know crows are vengeful birds? Truth.
http://news.discovery.com/animals/angry-crows-memory-life-threatening-behavior-110628.html

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Crows are highly intelligent, and he almost certainly considered you an interesting specimen, too.

I see nothing unethical about accepting any amount of money from someone who has no ethics himself because I'm sure your work is well worth it. In fact, he is lucky you have not sued him for sexual harassment.

Nic said...

My Mum has given mouth to mouth to a few creatures, including my hamster when I was little. Yes, I know. They did survive though. That's my mum for you. I once had an up close encounter with a seagull - in that he was on my lap. But he just wanted my sandwich. Big bugger, too.

Hmmm. Bosses. Bosses bosses bosses. Sigh. I'll leave it at that.

:-) P

Jerry said...

I can see that all manner of species are attracted to you.

I'm positive that your product es easily worth what your are paid.

And it does wrench the soul when one comes upon a supposedly hurt animal. What do you do? It makes you wish that you had never come upon them in the first place. Luckily this encounter (actually now that I think of it, both encounters) worked out well.

Now off to my second cup this morning to shake the cobwebs off.

Anonymous said...

This all pleases me greatly.

J.B. Chicoine said...

I often see animals and faces in odd configurations...and that does look just like a giraffe head!

mischief said...

secret agent- The article about crows was really interesting. Glad I am on their good side and now I have another reason to make sure I stay there. I find crows vaguely horrifying but beautiful all at the same time.

Susan- I'm really not the sort to launch law suits but I am glad you don't think there's something unethical about what I am doing.

Pixie - Your mum sounds like a woman after my own heart. Mouth to mouth on a hamster! However did she know how to do that?

Jerry - You successfully decoded my point, which is that I am overwhelmingly magnetic to all creatures great and small. You are good at reading between the lines. Hope the second coffee was as good as the first.

D- Pleased as ever that you are pleased. xx

Bridget - I'm so happy that you could see the giraffe too! I can almost imagine it sticking out a blue-ish tongue and licking an invisible wall.

meno said...

Take the money and run!

And give that giraffe a sandwich.

Caroline x said...

OMG! That was some post. Just found your blog through the lovely Jerry- will definitely be returning. Once I've picked my jaw from the floor- you go girl! :-)