Saturday, July 16, 2011

the light of the reason and the passing of the sky

In 1994, when T moved out of the apartment building across the street from mine, he left a plant in my care.  It was a split-leaf philodendron and I was meant to give it back after he completed his move.  I broke up with him shortly after that - partly because I was bothered by the amount of time and energy he put into doing his hair, but mostly because it troubled me that he had begun to bring out something unkind in me, some part of me that wanted to test him in a clinical and detached kind of way.  There were other, more complicated reasons of course.  Of course I still loved him, but I do not find that especially significant because there are many people I still love that I also left, or who left me.  It happens all the time.  Love comes easy to me, and I make a better memory than I do a roommate.

But houseplants, I believe, are like engagement rings; you should give them back if you break up.  However, I never returned the split-leaf philodendron.  It wasn't that I was trying to keep it from him.  There were things we did give back: he returned my raincoat (minus the hood), I returned his Roy Rogers guitar.   But the plant stayed with me for some reason, and seventeen years later I have it still.  It has lived with me in many cities, through many stages.  I became attached to it, not because it was T's plant, but because I like plants, and because it was hardy and did not easily fall victim to my mistakes the way the Boston Ferns always did.

Now I correspond with T occasionally, and almost always with a pang of something regrettably indefinable.  I still feel that I could injure him intentionally, yet just one sentence at a time.  (This is not his fault; it is entirely mine.)  I know I should return the split-leaf philodendron but I do not know how to accomplish this without his noticing.








*

8 comments:

secret agent woman said...

After 17 years, I'd say the plant's at an age where any judge would let it make its own choice about who it wants to live with.

mischief said...

Good point. I asked the plant what he wanted and he didn't answer. I'm taking that to mean he is content where he is now, or I assume he would say so.

Ellen said...

The plant knows you better by now. It trusts you, and loves you. Silence speaks a thousand words. The plant want's to stay with you.

meno said...

"I make a better memory than I do a roommate."

That sentence struck me. Sad and true perhaps of me too.

Anonymous said...

Was going to say the same thing as the commenter above me. I bet you make a beautiful memory and I bet you make a better roommate than you think you do.

glnroz said...

the plant would rather have you take care of it,,,trust me,,,it told me,,,

mischief said...

I wouldn't want to give the plant an abandonment complex. Besides, it has developed Stockholm Syndrome; it has come to identify with his kidnapper. So I have changed my mind; I am not going to give him back. Thank you all for helping me see the light.

Meno, I think we should be roommates with each other.

Caroline x said...

Bloody hell your writing is marvellous! Oh, that sounded vaguely like one of those spam comments but I'm just impressed.