Saturday, July 09, 2011

pour la dernière fois

Since I am staying here for the summer, I need something to do.  So far I have been cleaning, and that just makes me taciturn, but so does doing nothing.  We bought tiles today so I can tile the dosseret behind the counters.  (I know that space is called a backsplash but that's such a ridiculous word I want not to use it.  Some words are so disappointing.)  This kind of work makes me happy; I really should have been something other than a teacher, something to do with building instead.  We bought the perfect house for someone who likes these projects.  Shawn hates them which is good because I want to do this by myself.

My assistant principal emailed me something today about my next year's classes, something incomprehensible to which I did not reply.  This is the kind of thing to think about in September.  Now it is time to think about tiles.



*
  
I have been teaching J how to juggle and she is getting pretty good at it.  Juggling is an absurd skill to have and my favourite thing about it is when no one knows you can do it, and then suddenly an opportunity arises to begin juggling for no reason in front of people you have known for years who have never seen you do it.  I have explained to J that secrecy is the most important aspect of the skill set and she seems to get it.


*

Facebook sucks.  There is no such thing as a clean break anymore.  T writes to me now.  It will not last; these kinds of things never do, but for the time being it is a source of strange feelings.  I was involved with him for three or four years, and thought at one time I would probably be with him forever.  Je m'en souvendrai longtemps.  In the end I did not really know him at all, and I still don't, but for some reason now he wants to reminisce.  I do not know what this means.  He left his wife, he is lonely, he thinks his life could have turned out better.  It would not have turned out better with me, I can assure him of that, but it isn't what he wants to hear now.  I am not sure, exactly, what he wants right now.  I am only sure that I cannot provide it and that he will eventually grow bored of trying to find it with me, he will eventually grow bored of me.  Coincidentally, after much moving around the country, we live again in the same city.  But it is a very big city and I will probably never see him again in my life.

*












4 comments:

Jerry said...

Vous êtes celui qui frappe le plus proche à mon coeur.

You have patience for delicate work. For some, like you, it is a peaceful and fulfilling activity. Sadly, not for me.

I really tried, many years ago, to learn juggling with floating scarves...and I got pretty good...with floating scarves. You are absolutely right -- the secret is to keep it a secret. I keep it a secret that I can juggle with scarves....for other reasons.

Lost loves... They itch, at times. Yes, Facebook sucks.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I also very much enjoy building things, whether jewelry or furniture or yes, tiling bathrooms.

Does T know where you live?

I had a boyfriend in college who took off a semester from Brown to learn to juggle. He got very good at it, which I envied. I can only keep two things going, so it isn't really juggling, it's just throwing stuff up and catching it. How I wish you could teach me.

mischief said...

Jerry, tu es proche de mon coeur aussi. Je me demande pourquoi...? I am impressed with your juggling skills; you need a reason to progress. I wish lost loves did not itch the way they do. It's one thing when I choose to dwell on my own, and entirely another when I am pulled in.

Susan, we have so many things in common. Juggling was one of those things we were encouraged to learn in theatre school, with the assurance that being capable of juggling would increase marketability. And I have never in my entire life been asked if I could juggle at an audition. T knows where I live in so far as he knows we are in the same city, but that's all, no specifics. I keep it that way on purpose.

Brown said...

I agree...backsplash is a moronic word. Sounds like a bad movie title.

Juggling is a fantastic skill. I have bee endowed with great athletic prowess, (amongst other endowments) but juggling is one thing that I cannot master with minimal practice...I too think that "busting" out with such a talent among people who are unsuspecting makes it all the more worthwhile. Well, so is streaking, but that's bound to make someone feel uncomfortable.