Tuesday, July 19, 2011

i know what boys like

I took J shopping at the mall this afternoon.  There are a lot of concessions made in parenting, and for me going shopping is one of the biggest ones.  I cannot stand the mall, but J loves it so much that there is no way to avoid it all the time.  There was a wonderful moment, though, that made it all worthwhile, when she discovered the hooded Mexican pullover I often wear -- which she loathes -- is coming back into fashion.  There was a rack full of them in different colours and I had to point them out to her.  She was horrified.  I am so far ahead of the trends that I have been wearing one of these beauties for at least twenty years.







The poncho is the foundation for one of my best looks, the fourteen year old boy.  I rock that one.  I have also mastered the Olive Oyl, with K's encouragement.  (I have a couple of other signature looks but I don't want to give away all my fashion knowledge at once.)  The reason I am writing all this is that I have decided to turn this into a fashion blog in which I will provide daily reports and photos of what I am wearing, brag about how fantastic I look, and tell you how you, too, can achieve this look for only a modest investment of cash and time spent at the mall.  (Or by never shopping and just keeping the same clothes for twenty years.)  Stand by; my readership is about to explode.




*





6 comments:

meno said...

I used to have one of these beauties, over 30 years ago. Now you can feel smug AND young.

glnroz said...

ready to hear...here,,,

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This post made me laugh with delight. I had a Peruvian llama poncho which I bought while living in Greenwich Village in the late 60's. I do not have it any longer, but I saw one on a very young girl recently, at the mall (which I also hate.)

mischief said...

meno, I think I was about seventeen when I bought mine, so I actually *was* young and smug in those days. Now it's an illusion that only works from far away, but I'm still attached to it.

Big Paw, I am pleased that you will stick around for some fashion tips. Perhaps you have a few for me too.

Susan, I think I have that same poncho, although mine is alpaca. It's itchy and smells like wet dog when it gets wet. I love it.

secret agent woman said...

I have a similar hooded pullover - it's sort of a rough-looking brown fabric (but soft to the touch)with some cream. I LOVE it.

Jerry said...

No comment. I mean, how can I? The pullover thing went out of fashion? I don't understand fashion. It looks okay to me...today and five years ago, and tomorrow.