Wednesday, August 03, 2011

fixing a hole where the rain gets in

When Shawn said he was going to help me tile the dosseret,  I was a little concerned.  He doesn't have a lot of patience for imperfection -- and tiling, especially when working with marble and slate as opposed to ceramic, is rife with imperfections.  That's part of the art.  You make things look right by making everything slightly wrong in the right way.

But he was helpful, and didn't complain (much).  I drew lines on the tiles so he wouldn't have to measure.  He liked the tile saw.  For some reason, contractor math makes sense to me where the rest of it is meaningless.  I can measure things and predict angles without exactly knowing how.

We did the smaller section yesterday and the larger one today.  Now it all needs 48 hours to dry before I can start grouting.  I'll do that by myself.




I had not planned to do this work this week, especially in light of the fact that I am meant to be doing technical writing for GDJ, but I think I have a compulsion for tiling.  It's like building a puzzle.

I still did the technical writing, not as much as I could have if I'd not spent the first four hours of the day tiling, but enough to look as though I had put in a full day.  And this is the genius of working from home.  I wish I could teach from home.

*

T has been asking if I would be willing to see him.  T is an ex-boyfriend whose wife recently ran off with a man from Costa Rica.  I am trying to decide if this is a good idea, not because I doubt my own ability to handle it but because I am unsure why he wants to do this and I find the timing suspect.  Sometimes break ups make people think things that aren't so.

Though I am so often lost in nostalgia, where it comes to T I find myself rather unsentimental.  This is not a reflection on how I felt about him, because I loved him very much.  But somehow I stopped.  I do not always accomplish that so successfully when relationships end.



*

3 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

The tiling looks great! we did that in two bathrooms when we owned a house, and it was oddly satisfying.

As for T, yes, the timing is suspect. So be guided by whether there would be anything to gain in the encounter, even curiosity satisfied. But if you do see him, please tell us about it.

J.B. Chicoine said...

There is something very gratifying in compensating for irregularities and making them work for you. I love tiling, though I'm not crazy about the grouting. I'm always afrait I'll wipe off too much.

Your tile looks awesome!

T sounds like an interesting character...

Ellen said...

If you run out of things to tile at your house, you can come help me do my kitchen and bathroom and re-grout all the floors!

nifirita..hmmm