Saturday, August 27, 2011

August, die she must.

Sometimes I really fight the part of me that wants to be a Redhead, the part that wants to have allergies and autoimmune issues, the part that likes to whine and wipe its nose on its sleeves, the part that longs to have blistering sunburns  and hay fever and grow buck teeth and be home-schooled and perpetually burst into tears.  (Because this is what Redheads do, you know.  Witches have red hair, you know.)  There is another part of me, Mousy Brown, that I want to be in charge.  Mouse is sensible and quiet -- but the thing about Mouse is that mice do not want to be in charge of anything.


Some people characterize Redheads as exciting, fiery.  They aren't.  They're just itchy from the allergies; it makes them moody.  On Wednesday morning I awoke with a mosquito bite on the left side of my forehead and another in the middle of my palm.  Both have become swollen red welts.  Allergies.  At lunch the other day T told me that I looked the same except my hair was less red.  I took this as a high compliment and surreptitiously scratched my forehead.




*

It was never so simple as I told myself it was.  Love does not just dissipate, not even when it has every reason to, not even when time has passed graciously and ground down everything sharp, not even when forgiveness is light.  Old love no longer pulls you down and smothers you, but it doesn't just dissolve either.


*

11 comments:

Nic said...

Hmmm. Well, I like being a witch. I could, of course, be a sophisticated business brunette, or a man-trembler of a blonde. But I am happy being a witch. Though I am an itchy witch also. Is that simply because I am looking after next door's rabbit? I also cry a lot. Is this because I have red hair? Hmmm. Certainly something to carefully consider before I open the box of Schwarzkopf. Perhaps I do not have a serious psychiatric condition at all. Some fascinating research could come out of this. Or, of course, you could just have a particularly violent reaction to anything in the Culicidae family and I could be allergic to rabbits. May our red blotches, wheezing and dribbling eyes heal quickly, regardless. x

Nic said...

By the way, you have a remarkably beautiful eye, skin, bit of hair, and grey thing in front of your nose. ;-)

(Have to laugh at the word verification for this one: rednesso)

mischief said...

Rednesso! That's fantastic. Redheadedness IS a serious psychiatric condition, and I'm pretty sure that's all that's wrong with any of us. The problem with itching (and crying) is that the more you do it, the more you want to do it. x

meno said...

I've always wanted to be a redhead, but am too lazy.

mischief said...

And I have tried, often, not to be red, but it always emerges from beneath whatever colour I try to hide it with. I've become too lazy to fight this battle too. Red always wins.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've always wished I had auburn hair and could probably pull it off - green eyes, fair skin - but the maintenance is a turnoff. My hair is a mix of browns and blond with white streaks, which I think of as free highlights.

You are so right about old love. If it doesn't turn to hate it remains, just below the surface.

mischief said...

Free highlights, yes, I have a few of those too. In fact that's probably why T finds my hair is less red now. Upkeep of anything like hair colour is generally too tedious for me to manage. (I love your hair the way it is, by the way.)

Anonymous said...

I liked the other picture better.

mischief said...

You can't always get what you want. :)

Jerry said...

Past love cannot dissolve. If it were to do so then we would not be who we are today.

Witches? Cool.

secret agent woman said...

The witches of my imagination have jet black hair.

I have basic brown hair although people often accuse me of having reddish hair. I don't get it. I think that's just the way it looks in the sun.