Friday, August 05, 2011

say shut up and quit your crying, give it time and you'll be fine

It is tempting when I am on vacation to drink more or less incessantly.  But I don't, mostly because I want to.  So I wait for the weekends just like I do when I am working.  The other day J told me in utter horror that one of her friend's parents drank beers on a Wednesday.  This is the same child who watched her mother stuff a crack pipe and knew how to make a filter out of steel wool.  How things change.  (I think what I mean is that I am glad that today is Friday.)

During summer vacation it is also tempting for me to sit in the sun incessantly wearing nearly nothing, and I understand how stupid teenage girls became addicted to tanning beds in the 80s.  It isn't that I am interested in developing a tan, but it just feels so good.  How can something so bad for you feel so right?


*

I have to go to a funeral this afternoon.  I have never been to a Muslim funeral before.  I know I need to bring something to cover my hair, and I know it's Ramadan so there will be no food.  I like this part because it means it will seem less rude when I ditch at the end and do not hang around eating finger sandwiches and making small talk.


*

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

No child should ever see her mother stuff a crack pipe. I'm sorry for the loss of your sister, but very glad that J is with you and Shawn now.

secret agent woman said...

I adore the feel of the sun on my skin and really have to fight to be sensible about it.

Jerry said...

'Incessantly wearing nearly nothing.' I just find this a curious phrase. An interesting phrase.

mischief said...

I think you are noticing that this sentence needs a comma after incessantly. That makes it less curious, I think you will agree.