Saturday, January 24, 2009

to compensate for his ordinary shoes

Last week I did something extraordinarily stupid.

I made dinner (that's not the stupid part) which involved cutting vegetables over the sink. When dinner was made, I turned on the garburator to get rid of the vegetable peelings and stems, and heard a horrible grinding sound. Instead of reacting quickly, I sort of sauntered over to the garburator and had a peek inside. I couldn't see anything so I let it keep going, thinking the noise might resolve itself. It did not, so I turned it off and waited for Shawn to come home from work so he could look at it.

Later that evening, I realized my engagement ring was gone.



*

So today we went out to look at engagement rings. I feel stupid about replacing an engagement ring in the first place, already being married and whatnot, but it's also a real waste to pay homeowner's insurance for things like that and then not make a claim when you lose (or destroy) something expensive.

So we looked at rings. The annoying thing is that we haven't been able to find a ring that is worth the same as the first one was. There are a lot of rings that are worth less, and a lot of rings worth more, but there seems to be a big gap in the price range we're looking for. Shawn is of the opinion that we should go ahead and get a more expensive one, letting the insurance company pay the portion up to the value of the other ring, with us paying the difference.

I'm struggling with this because part of me is still just wanting back my old ring, exactly the same. It's not that I'm not a little greedy and can't appreciate the upgrade... but I'm just not sure.

Shawn picked out my first engagement ring the old-fashioned way, without me there. Maybe I should get him to pick the new one this way too. I feel weird choosing my own engagement ring for a wedding that happened more than six years ago.



*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should let Shawn pick it. Because that is several kinds of cute and romantical.

mischief said...

And he really owes me something romantic after I garburated his first gift. :D Hehe.