Tuesday, January 27, 2009

soothed beneath the artist's loving hand

I still feel bad about my engagement ring. Shawn picked another one for me. I thought he would try to find me the same one again, but instead he found something new and different. It's far too beautiful for a girl who wears jeans every day... but I love it nonetheless. Now we have to do paperwork for the insurance people so I can actually have the ring. Right now it's still just an idea.

*

The fact that the head of the English department at my school A) does not enjoy creative writing, and B) thinks that Nora Roberts is a good author, bothers me more than it should. I don't suppose these facts detract from her ability as an English teacher, but it just doesn't make sense. How can she teach To Kill A Mockingbird and King Lear, but choose on her own time to read High Noon? Shawn says I'm a literary snob which is hardly fair considering how many non-classic writers I love. But you can't take seriously the word of a man who reads "graphic novels" anyway.


*

There are three women who've supported me throughout the last seven months that Little J has been living here. One was a crack addict herself, who started out as a nurse, got arrested, lost her job, went to jail... and then started her life over again. Another is a recovering alcoholic who lost her husband to alcoholism and decided to get straight after alcohol killed him. The other is a mother of two boys who had to leave her meth addicted husband in spite of loving him to keep her children safe. These three women have been a backbone for me when I've felt like a puddle of insecurity over what's going on. They've taught me to think before reacting, to trust my instincts even ahead of my lawyer, and to indulge in self care. I know I will always be grateful to them for dragging me along this path.


*

My paper is due on Saturday and I've got three more days to write. I don't want to spend any more time writing but I feel sure there are still aspects of it that need fixing. (Why do they teach us to use MLA formatting in high school and undergraduate school, but then switch to APA in grad school?)


*

No comments: