Tuesday, December 02, 2008

on it goes through the circle, fast and slow

For a moment I was confused thinking it was Thornton Wilder who wrote The Scarlet Ibis. Of course it wasn't. It was James Thurber. Sometimes I forget the internet can help me with these things the way it helps me remember Creedence Clearwater Revival lyrics when I can only remember choruses. I remembered Thurber on my own though. If you haven't read The Scarlet Ibis I am asking you to. It's only a short story.

It reminds me of my childhood. But that isn't why it should be read. It should be read because it beautifully illustrates human nature, the kindness and the cruelty that exists within us, even within children.

*

Today at work, the ring my parents gave me for a graduation gift, broke. The metal actually snapped and the stone not only broke loose but fell down a drain. It's gone. I talked to the caretaker in case there was any hope of retrieving it. He said (with his beautiful accent), "That's another chapter in your life, over."


*

No comments: