Thursday, December 18, 2008

let me put it this way

Yesterday we finally got things sorted out in court in a way that felt right. The judge was compassionate and really seemed to understand what we were about and why we have been doing the things we've been doing. The last judge, in spite of ruling in our favour, still made us feel we were under suspicion; he made us feel as though we were criminals instead of people stepping in to try and save a little girl. The judge we had yesterday, instead, made us feel that she was taking it for granted that we were on the right side, doing the right things, and deserving of some support. She really restored my faith in the justice system.


*


Tonight my senior Drama students put on their one act plays for their friends and families. We had a pretty good turnout considering the cuckoo weather we've got, and the audience was enthusiastic and appreciative. After the show, an adorable grandfather of one of my students came over to talk to me. He told me about his career in law and how he had gone on to become a judge in Saskatchewan. He was extremely interesting... though I noticed his family tugging at him and urging him to stop talking as though they feared I was being bothered by the conversation. Little did they know... I love talking to older people. I really regret I didn't spend more time talking to my own grandparents when they were alive, and I was enjoying my conversation with this grandfather as much as any I'd had all day. He was quite charming.

So now the show is done and there's only one more teaching day until winter break. I am READY for a break.


*

No comments: