Sunday, February 11, 2007

we have something here

We are making a habit of taking the dogs to various pet stores on the weekend; pet stores because they are rare places where pets are welcome shoppers. Stores, in general, not because we need to shop so much as because we want to socialize the dogs a bit, help them to become less timid around people and other animals. It seems to be working. With each outing they are a little less frightened and reluctant and walk around. So we did that.

Then we returned the relieved puppy to his home and went out to look at antiques and to find some lunch. Looking at antiques is a hobby we thought we were going to become interested in. However, upon reflection, after spending the last three weekends looking, we've accepted the fact that it really isn't. Most shops that advertise themselves as antique shops also sell "collectibles", which is a fancy word for yard sale. So looking for beautiful and interesting antiques among the flea markets is a far more challenging task than we expected it to be. I understand why people enjoy it; it must be exhilarating when one manages to find something rare and lovely among the trash. But it turns out we just don't have the patience or the skill to make the distinction. So much for appearing on the Antique Roadshow with a gem of a find.

After admitting to ourselves that we just aren't as artistic as we believed we were, happier rather to settle for furniture that is new, boring, mass produced and predictable, we decided to celebrate with lunch at one of those wonder artisan bakery type places that serves breakfast all day long on freshly made bread. Fabulous. I left my wallet behind when we were done.

Discovering this as we were almost home, Shawn turned around the car and I used the new cell phone that I thought would never be useful to call and ask if anyone had found my wallet. Hallelujah, the sweet waitress who had served us our meal had found it and put it aside for me. (Thank goodness we'd left her a generous tip.) When we returned I was really pleased to find my wallet behind the counter with nothing taken and all the cash still inside. I left the waitress some money to thank her for her honesty.

Later in the evening I drove to the school to meet and discuss the Future of Education for grade four students under my tutelage. It appears their curricular expectations shall be met after all.

It's felt like a full day. It's only just past nine thirty and I'm going, now, to get ready for bed. Yawn.


+

No comments: