Saturday, February 10, 2007

i've looked at clouds that way

I don't like not having enough to do. I like to be busy. I'm sure it's a psychological problem (add it to the pile) indicative of a need to feel important or something. And since moving here, I've been madly scrambling for things to do, cobbling together several part time jobs in order to feel like I'm a contributing member of both society and our household. All of a sudden, where it comes to work, my cup runneth over. And over and over.

I've been offered a full time contract for writing which will extend to the end of August. A full time writing contract is absolutely perfect because (note the insufferable arrogance in my tone) I can do this full time job in fifteen hours a week. It means I can collect full pay for part time hours.

Meanwhile, the short temporary teaching contract has been extended (yikes) until early March, which means that for the month of February I'll be in the outstanding position of collecting two full time salaries. The strange thing about this was that no one asked me if I wanted to stay longer; I was simply told that I was staying. I'm not even sure what I would have said if I'd been asked. I know that it's the best thing for those kids not to have to go through another change... and it's definitely the best thing for our bank account. It's only laziness that makes me think finishing next Friday, as originally planned, would have been best.

As if two full time jobs wasn't enough, I continue to work for the university - and will need to conduct all my meetings via telephone for the next few weeks until I am free from the teaching contract. Immediately upon finishing that contract, however, I have accepted another one. This one is different though, because it's not a substitute teaching position. It's a real position, mine until the end of June. The best part is that it's only two days a week - but it comes with the real job perks, like paid vacation time and benefits and RRSP contributions. I feel so flattered that they were willing to wait for me to finish the other contract rather than hiring one of the other people they interviewed who would be immediately available.

Things will get more manageable after the short term contract is done - but right now it all feels daunting. I'm not sure how to manage everything. In fact, I simply can't manage everything for the next three weeks or so.

No comments: