Friday, January 05, 2007

no song unsung, no wine untasted



This afternoon I was sitting on a bed in a furniture store waiting for Shawn to come back to me after going off in search of a salesperson.

While I was sitting there an elderly man came to me and told me he thought I had beautiful eyes. He didn't stay to talk, he just said so and touched my shoulder and ambled away. I wonder if I imagined him.

It briefly made me vain, blink blink. When I told Shawn what happened he said, I tell you that all the time. Why are you surprised?

The reason I am surprised is that I often think of compliments that come from people who love me as being obligatory. But a compliment from a stranger who has no apparent motive for crossing a room to tell you a lie is a different thing altogether. Shawn rolled his eyes at me.

*

We purchased a bed frame in this furniture store. Long ago when we decided to have babies with long spindly legs it became necessary to take the bed off its frame and place the mattress directly on the floor so that the babies could get in and out of bed without hurting themselves. We complained about sleeping on the floor for awhile, and then forgot about it. And kept doing it for a long long time.

And then we found this bed frame, a strange bed frame unlike anything I've ever seen before. The wood is rough, just short of being splintery, just short of being ugly, managing somehow to be the most beautiful and interesting piece of furniture I think I have ever seen. And it's LOW to the ground allowing for long legged spider babies to get in and out at will, and still allowing mama and Daddy to stop sleeping like teenagers at a keg party. Huh.

The saleslady filled out the paper work (with the sad news that it could take up to four months to have this thing ready to come home with us) and then said that this style of funiture was something people either loved or hated. And I distinctly felt she hated it.

Then she asked us whether we wanted the free airline tickets to Jamaica, Hawaii, or Mexico OR the three night's acommodation in Las Vegas. We both stared at her; it did not compute.

She explained that the store was having this weird promotion and she wasn't kidding. I never heard of such a thing in my entire life. We decided to take the free tickets and she said we could decide on the destination later. She also said they could be transferred to someone else. I think in the end we won't be able to go on a vacation together because of the babies but the idea that one of us can go and bring a friend is kind of neat. And strange. (I wonder if they'd give us another set of tickets if we bought another piece of furniture?)

In general, shopping is just the worst way to spend an afternoon, but today's expedition was successful in many ways. I look forward to spending many lifetimes in my new bed.



*




No comments: