Sunday, January 21, 2007

i turn my collar

The delivery men who brought our new mattress yesterday astonished me by saying that the foam was frozen solid from sitting in their warehouse and that it would need an hour to thaw before it would be flexible enough to bend it and drag it up the stairs. Rather than risk breaking our new bed, they left it sitting in our foyer, assuring us that it wasn't "that heavy" and that we'd have no trouble moving it upstairs ourselves once it warmed up.

A hour later we decided to go ahead and give it a try. It's a wonder that neither of us was hurt. The mattress had no handles or anything to grip onto while lifting it, so pulling it with any real strength was nearly impossible. Shawn did the heavy work - and I did the steering. It's unfortunate that no one was around to videotape the performance for the humour value because I'm certain we would have scored highly on the Laugh-o-Metre. By the time the wretched thing was in our bedroom we were ready to lie down on it and go to sleep.

It seems funny that we decided to get a king-size bed - since we ended up sleeping together, touching, in the centre of it. But it was comfortable. Once the bed frame is delivered we will be like real grown ups.

Our Friday night dinner with G&R was cancelled, and sadly I took some real pleasure in that. They were given free tickets to a hockey game and wanted to go. They invited us to come with them, hoping the Canadians could explain the game they were watching - but pro-sports don't interest either of us so we begged off and promised to get together another time. Yay. We are still having dinner tonight with K&R but I actually enjoy being with them more and find them easier to talk with.

Tomorrow is my last day before the contract starts and I'm thinking of booking the day off so I can enjoy one last day of freedom. So selfish and lazy I've become.

I wish winter would end. I'm tired of the cold and the dry dry dry air.


+

No comments: