Wednesday, September 13, 2006

dream back to summer, hear how he tells her

In September the temperature drops at night and for the first time since June the heaters start to kick on. The night air is filled with that smell, the smell of sleeping furnaces waking up and rolling over and burning off the layer of dust that has settled in their lungs while they slept.

Literally it is only the smell of burning dust - but it brings with it memories and fears that settle and seep effortlessly into October. I find October so hard. I smell it coming.




.

1 comment:

Dolphin said...

I am glad then, that I was able to get my head back on (after the news I told you about when last we spoke) quickly enough to find you before October begins. That way there's yet another soul out there to help you take arms against it.

I rather wish it was still in vogue and not environmentally unsound to burn leaves. It was a tradition long past by the time I was wee. The ritual element of that, however, I imagine might be rather cleansing...