Thursday, February 21, 2013

We were called to an urgent staff meeting after school, at which we were told that BB has been diagnosed with leukemia.  BB, as far as she had told me, was having some immunity problems and was asked to take time away from the germ pool until it was resolved.  The potential for serious illness had not really occurred to me and so when we received the news I was completely startled.  And, unfortunately, had an extracurricular activity I was still expected to run afterward.  I do not think I was an especially effective facilitator this afternoon.

BB is not just a colleague, she is a friend.  And friend is one of those words I do not throw around, because I do not make friends easily or lightly.  Her illness scares me because she is bad and tough and sort of invincible-seeming.  And I do not want her to die.


*

4 comments:

Therese said...

Oh honey I'm sorry. I have a whole bunch of encouraging things to say that get said at a time like this ("they've made so many advancements in treating leukemia" and "she's so lucky to have a friend like you while she battles through this.") but I'm not sure they're any good.
What are you going to do? Are you gonna go full hands-on, helping her as much as you can? Give some distance? What's your plan to cope with this?

Secret Agent Woman said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Do you know what sort of leukemia? Some of them have a remarkably high cure rate now.

mischief said...

I do not know what kind of leukemia yet, but apparently she has one of the ones that does have a better cure rate. If there's any kind of good news in news like this, that's it.

I still do not know what my role is. Her mother and fiance are with her now doing the primary stuff. I want to be available but not in the way, but I find that a difficult balance to strike. I will think about what ways I can help, or at least offer support.

Nic said...

Oh bless her. I'm sorry, M. That's very sad. I do hope that her resilience can help her through. The other good news is that she has a wonderful friend in you.