Thursday, February 14, 2013

more love

And another friend posted this.  I seem to have more Catholic friends than I realised.  I suppose Catholicism is invisible like a lot of other illness.  

No, I do not really mean that.  Extremism is not specific to Catholics.  It is a problem in any faith.  And is it extreme for him to tell me (and his other 278 "friends") that he is against abortion?  Does that mean he would get between a woman and her doctor?  Does it mean he would demonstrate and frighten people who have made that choice?  I doubt it, I do not think so.  So is it extreme?  Not really, no.  It's a lot more extreme than minding your own damn business, but it's not particularly invasive.  Still bugs me, though.  I wonder why.



*


7 comments:

Therese said...

Have you figured out why it bugs you yet? Tell me cuz I bet it has a wide application. It's really..ehh..enlightened? of you to recognize that he's not evil because he thinks different than you.

mischief said...

Well, a few things probably.

1. I was going to say I don't like it when people "advertise" their beliefs, but then I remembered that I put up a couple of stickers in my classroom recently, one about unlearning racism and one about providing a safe space for LBGTQ. So maybe that's not valid. It's pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

2. But still, I don't really (usually) advertise my beliefs or try to convince anyone of anything. I just try to model. I would never post something about why I belief in choice, nor would I teach it to my students. I do respect that people disagree on this issue, and prefer to avoid debating it.

3. But in the end I think it comes down to intolerance on my part. I am frustrated by church dogma that limits women's rights and oppresses its people in any way. But the very fact that I view this as oppressive shows that my values are also steeped in culture. There's no getting away from it. I want to be openminded but I am just as attached to my value system as anyone else and find it hard to relate when values conflict.


Not so enlightened after all, huh?

Nic said...

I am point 1, 2 and 3, and the bit after that.

mischief said...

I knew you were unenlightened! xxx

Therese said...

Seriously, number 3 brings you full circle back to enlightened!

mischief said...

You may be too generous. :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Does tolerance mean tolerating every belief, no matter how hurtful it is to others? And can you really be "for our women" and want to limit their autonomy over their own freaking bodies?