Monday, February 18, 2013

frailty

This morning in first period M interrupted my class while I was teaching them how to stagefight.  I was in the midst of pretending to deliver a knee to the jaw to one of my grade nine boys when she appeared by the door and gestured at me.  I left my students unsupervised and stepped out into the hall to see what was going on.  Usually when M interrupts it is to ask me to cover for her in counselling.  Instead she said, I feel naked.  Do you have any lipstick?

This was an extremely strange request in a lot of ways.  First of all, isn't it unusual for adult people to share things that touch their mouths?  (My mother was highly opposed to my teenage practice of sharing drinks, chapstick, and slobbery kisses with anyone who asked.)  M is 44 and because she is older than me she is supposed to know better.

But it is also odd because we aren't really that close.  I do not know her very well at all, I don't have a history of sharing personal secrets or personal objects with her.  There are people in my life with whom I do share these things, mostly Shawn (who thinks nothing of using a toothbrush I just finished using) but she is not one of them.  She is just a colleague.

And mostly it is odd because she is an adult person, a counsellor, a person who is supposed to be professional and have the best interests of students at heart, interrupting their very important Ass Kicking education to ask me for a cosmetic product.

I gave it to her, of course, and then was interrupted a second time after she had finished using it when she brought it back.


*

6 comments:

Bee said...

In a place where I was working once, I was having 'relations' with another staff member. Virtually every hour I was tweaking with my hair, or reapplying make up, or even, at the end of the day, brushing my teeth. My colleagues must have known exactly what I was doing, but love does funny things. Or sex does, perhaps. Perhaps M has a reason to wear lipstick to work. If you catch her with the toothpaste then let me know. ;)

Therese said...

Huh. Does she have other close friends there? Did she seem edgy or freaked out or otherwise strange? Oftentimes people go into mental health or counseling fields to help them handle their own issues, which don't always get resolved.

mischief said...

Well well, Bee. What a juicy story and fascinating possibility to consider. Now I would be genuinely astonished to learn that M was having an affair because she is married with two little ones, and seems extremely dedicated to her family. But I guess we never really know for sure about people, especially not people who show up demanding lipstick.

Therese, I think that she considers me closer than I consider her, which sounds like a not-very-nice thing to say. But it's because I'm nice to her and some people aren't, because she frustrates them with her poor work. As for the counsellors at my school, I think they're all batshit crazy, at least to some degree, and the fact that I decided to get a Masters degree in Counselling a couple of years ago to pursue a career change clinches your theory completely. Crazy.

Nic said...

Married, two children, and extremely dedicated to her family? I'd keep your eyes WIDE open, Mischief ;)

mischief said...

You are much wiser in the ways of the world than I. x

Secret Agent Woman said...

An affair was the first thing that popped in my mind, too. But I agre - you don't borrow someone's lipstick.