Monday, February 11, 2013

born of blood

Do you ever write something so perfect that you're afraid to follow it with something else, something less perfect that might detract from its beauty?  No?  Me either.


*

Today is Family Day, the first of its kind in BC, a gift from the Liberal Party who are liberal, apparently, with stat holidays if not with wages for public servants.  There has been some debate and disgruntlement over Family Day, which is unsurprising; in fact I remember the same thing in Alberta when Don Getty announced Family Day in 1990 (and the rumour at the time was that he needed a day to visit his son in jail).

It took BC another couple of decades or so to follow suit.  And for some reason the day chosen for Family Day was a different day than Getty chose for Alberta, which annoys people who have family in neighbouring provinces they would like to visit.  And of course there was plenty of argument that Family Day Monday should follow Super Bowl Sunday so all those hung over football fans could have a day to recover.  But nursing a hangover isn't a family activity, really, is it?

I am spending Family Day (morning) with CC, who is one of the only friends I have kept in touch with from university (and by keeping in touch I mean seeing in person, not clicking "Like" on Facebook).  I love CC very much but I dislike her husband intensely.  The good part about seeing her early in the morning is that he is likely to still be in bed, or even still out carrousing from the night before.  We are going for coffee and breakfast.  CC has two young children who are adorable and exhausting and greatly impede our ability to talk to one another, so most of the time when I see CC I spend it listening to her children and helping her pull them out from under chairs in the coffee shop.  Nonetheless, I do not see her often enough given that we are only a 40 minute drive apart.

The rest of the day I will dedicate to my own little family, husband and niece/daughter, both people I chose for my own.


*

No comments: