Sunday, January 01, 2012

When I am on vacation and not getting up to an alarm clock I tend to remember my dreams much more than I normallly do.  The night before last I dreamed I was back in the D.U.S. (Drama Undergraduate Society) lounge with people I knew back then, discussing the tragedy of raising membership fees to pay for the representatives to go on some unnecessary trip where it was presumed they were all hooking up instead of working.  Hilarious.  The only part of this that was inaccurate to the past was the part where I was bothering to discuss it.  Although this kind of thing happened all the time I was too apathetic for it to upset me.  In reality I would have cracked jokes about it and shrugged.

Last night I dreamed I was in the hospital awaiting surgery.  I had to get from my hospital room to the surgery room on my own, for some reason, rather than being taken there on a gurney.  The problem was that I couldn't seem to find my way and every time I was late showing up, my important surgery was put off and rescheduled for another day.  It was starting to look like I was going to end up living the rest of my life in the hospital (a bit like Tom Hanks stuck in the airport in The Terminal) and my biggest frustration here was not that I was missing my life or not receving some kind of medical procedure I allegedly needed, but that I wanted to drink a beer and couldn't because I was perpetually awaiting surgery.  Dreams are so weird.  I love remembering them.



*

4 comments:

Jerry said...

My wife has highly detailed and disturbing dreams (which can take fifteen minutes for her to tell about) and almost always put her into a situation where there is a disastrous consequence to something she did not do or a bad decision she made. Lack of confidence? Unworthy?

She, unlike you, does not like to remember them. At times such remembrances can depress her for hours.

mischief said...

I'm not sure how to interpret dreams. Sometimes I think they represent fears. But maybe they aren't all so easily explained either. I've heard dreaming described as the brain "taking out the mental trash", and maybe that's all it is. I don't really believe in those dream interpretation books that tell you what every type of dream is supposed to mean. Seems like it's pretty individual to me.

Nic said...

Last night A showed me a photograph he had taken which appeared to show a face coming out of a spectacular cloud. It was a stunning photo. My mum phoned this morning to tell me she had dreamt of a face coming out of a cloud. She knew nothing about the photograph. Most strange.

Since increases and whatnot, my dreams are far more vivid and rather strange, and actually much of my day time anxiety has disappeared. I am quite sure there is a connection.

I do love dreams, though, like Jerry's wife, they can sometimes floor me for the whole day. Funny little things.

Sorry I am so slow responding - I no longer get an update since your change so I have to keep remembering to check and I have got a very small brain at the moment.

xxx P

mischief said...

That's very odd about the face in the cloud. Long ago when my mum was still teaching she once had a dream about student of her fainting in class, and the exact same thing happened the next day. I think some people believe we are closer to the spirit world when we dream. I don't really know what I believe, apart from finding the whole thing fascinating. And maybe a little scary sometimes.

Never mind about the small brain... remember the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz? Maybe your brain works better than you think. xx