Sunday, January 22, 2012

waiting on the world to change

Shawn and I went to Kitsilano this afternoon, which is a very trendy part of downtown Vancouver.  It has the highest number of designer baby clothing stores in the whole wide world.  And Merino wool is worn by one and all (except us).  For perspective, if we sold our 2000 square foot detached house in the suburbs on a third of an acre of land, we could buy a tiny bachelor apartment in Kitsilano.  For this reason I feel like a tourist when I go to Kitsilano.  I can't stop staring, walking backwards sometimes so I won't miss anything.  I stopped short of taking pictures, but only because it was raining.  Hard.


We went into a cute store that sold rainboots and coats.  (It was a rain themed day.)  I was drawn in by the brightly coloured umbrellas and boots in the window.  In particular, I liked this bright green boot.  Mostly because it looked like it would taste good, which is absurd, but I think you understand what I mean.  It was $150 dollars, which was also absurd and far less tasty.  I did not buy this pair of boots, nor the cute red ladybug umbrella that helped lured me in.   We left Kitsilano empty handed, like we always do.  But it was fun looking.



*

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have a couple of friends who live near Kitsilano Beach and look forward to visiting them someday. It looks like an incredibly beautiful area.

$150 is too much for rain boots, imo, but they are adorable and would look really cute on you. I am always drawn into shops with animal-shaped umbrellas in Japantown which are actually meant for children, but that doesn't bother me. I have 3 umbrellas but rarely use them, even the red one.

mischief said...

Kitsilano Beach is absolutely beautiful, and only blocks away from the store that sells outrageously priced rain gear. When you make it to the beach please let me know so I can meet you for an outrageously priced cup of tea.

The boots really are too expensive, and you mustn't encourage me to buy them anyway! I am trying very hard to be sensible. I love animal-shaped umbrellas too. There was a wonderful frog umbrella that I liked very much. Rain gear is so much fun, and since I live in a city where it rains perpetually I am tempted to go hog wild buying childish rain outfits so I can go outside and play in the puddles, looking like I'm made of hard candy as I do.

Jerry said...

I have no comment. But know that I was here. Well, the boots are really green. Green would make you calves look...greener. But no comment.

mischief said...

I am making the assumption, based on your lack of comment, that you are saying nothing because you have nothing nice to say. In other words, I think you hate my delicious dream boots, which is sad.