Thursday, January 05, 2012

I got soul but I'm not a soldier

Yann Martel's newest book is good, so good.  So far I love it.  Beatrice is a donkey, Virgil is a red howler monkey.  They're taxidermy, and the taxidermist is writing a play about them.  They discuss fruit, mostly pears but sometimes bananas.  Secretly, I think they're both still alive and that they talk to each other for real when the shop is empty.  I wonder why this kind of absurdism is so completely comfortable for me, but when the protagonist in Self changed genders without explanation, I had a hard time suspending disbelief.


*

I have never liked pears.  The flavour is pleasant enough; it's the gritty texture of the flesh that I do not enjoy.  Like an apple with a bit of sand mixed in.


*

2 comments:

Jerry said...

You are more comfortable with this kind of absurdity than I am. Even with movies, I shun the talking animals and animation films. That said, I did read an interesting novel a couple of years ago told from the perspective of a pet dog. Against all odds, I thoroughly enjoyed it. (No -- don't remember the name of the book.)

I'm not fond of pears as a fresh fruit, but I do enjoy canned pears.

mischief said...

Some kinds of absurdity really appeal to me. Others bother me. Talking animals are okay by me, but I tend to anthroporphize a lot so it makes sense. I also liked the idea of taxidermy coming back to life, but it didn't work out that way.

I don't like canned pears or fresh pears. They're both too gritty.