Saturday, February 26, 2011

because it's easier to learn than unlearn (because we've passed the point of no return)

I lost my phone in the movie theatre today.  It was a boring movie too.  Fortunately the floor-sweeper guy found it and so I can go back and pick it up tomorrow.  Shawn was already celebrating because he has been wanting to buy a new phone.  His plan was to give me his old one and get himself a new one.  (This is how I inherit all things technological when they grow too old to amuse my husband.)  He was quite disappointed when it turned up.

*

Apart from going to the (boring) movies this afternoon, I spent most of the day editing a section of video to show at my March seminar.  The video is of me in a counselling session with one of my students.  There isn't much in the world that can make you more aware of your own idiosyncratic behaviours than watching yourself on video.  (Unless it's having a student write a play about you and having student actors portray you with all your favourite expressions and habits, hearing an audience scream with laughter and having no idea what's so funny.)

Anyway, the video.  In this video I found it difficult to tell which of us was the client and which was the therapist.  I seem to have an unattractive habit of sticking my tongue out a lot, and my eyes either have severe glaucoma or belong to someone in need of an exorcist.  I'm a goddamn cartoon character.  There is no way to edit my video to hide these behaviours, so I have decided to accept them and pretend I do these things on purpose.  It's Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy, doncha know.  I'm emoting.  (Shut up.)



*

9 comments:

Jerry said...

I've concluded that you are a pretty damn good teacher. It seems to me that others can learn so much better when they can laugh and gulp in knowledge at the same time. That is really positive reinforcement.

Maybe you should online so we can laugh and learn too.

J.B. Chicoine said...

Oh, yes, post it online! post it...(sorry, I got caught up...)

You know, it would be an awful shame if you weren't a writer...

Say...are you working on a novel or a short story or anything where you can incorporate all this great stuff? Not that you need to, these little bits are perfect in and of themselves :)

mischief said...

Jerry,
Haha, oh I'd love to show you this video because it makes me laugh *a lot*. My absolute favourite moment happens when I ask the young man I'm counselling why his most recent argument with his stepfather was less explosive than usual, and he thinks for an excruciatingly long time and then finally tells me, "I think it's because he got rid of his moustache". But alas, client confidentiality being what it is, I'd better not.

JB,
I'm not really a writer although I like writing. I have written short stories but never had the stick-to-it-ive-ness to write a novel. And I don't seem to have the energy to learn how to pursue publishers. I have, however, had a fantastic technical manual on construction site safety published. It's a real page turner.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have never seen a video of myself and don't think I want to because my self-preservation instincts are stronger than my curiosity. I don't even like still photographs that profess to be of me because I am apparently much funnier-looking than I realize.

secret agent woman said...

Bwa ha ha ha! I used to loathe watching my own therapy videos when I was training. And then I did a couple of interviews for a morning news show. The first one was flat-out appalling! I looked like a bobble-head doll.

glnroz said...

YouTube, YouTube, YouTube,,, ok i am dizzy now. Sticking your tongue out?,,,there are germs in the air, donchaknowthat? me? "saucy comma waster"? I dont waste commas i need eaCH AND,,EVER,,whuon of them,,,:)

nick said...

I see myself on Skype and that's not too horrific, except that I'm a terrible fidget. Every ten seconds I'm scratching some part of my anatomy as if I'm crawling with fleas. It probably looks as if I'm dying of boredom.

mischief said...

Susan, this is not something I would ever have agreed to given a choice. Just a requirement of the program. One of my least favourite parts.

Secret Agent: Bobble-head, that's fantastic! Do you have it recorded? Watch it in fast motion... hehe.

Glenn: Yeah, can't seem to keep that tongue inside my face for some reason. And I love the way you toss commas with reckless abandon as though they aren't a non-renewable resource!

Nick: I have never used Skype or any of those kinds of programs. Don't seem to have anyone far away who wants to see my face. Phew. (Uh oh, now I feel itchy.)

Anonymous said...

""my eyes either have severe glaucoma or belong to someone in need of an exorcist""

This literally made me laugh aloud. Do you ever know how to turn a phrase.